A generally accepted definition of health encompasses three aspects – physical, mental and social well-being. Whilst the first two aspects can be achieved by healthy eating and lifestyle habits, achieving social well being needs a little more effort.
Being born as human, it is our duty to look after fellow humans. While animals survive through a struggle for existence, we as humans live by growing together.There can be no better way to boost our social well-being than cultivating and exhibiting patriotism.
जननी जन्म भूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी
Living and thriving in the Motherland – the land of one’s birth, is greater than being in the heavens.
Patriotism is the gratitude that we show towards the nation that provides security to us and our family. It is the love and respect that we show towards the nation that has given us a golden opportunity to live and thrive in our field of interest. It is the gratefulness that we show towards the nation that has made us respectful human beings.Swami Vivekananda once said that there is no difference between patriotism and devotion towards God. Exhibiting patriotism is more of a mental exercise than a physical one. We come across several opportunities in everyday life to exhibit patriotism:
- Saluting the national flag and symbols in our mind, whenever we come across one
- Showing compassion and helping out the needy during natural calamities
- Donating to a charity, that is really into man-making and nation-building
- Wise participation in protests against unlawful acts etc.
The following are some of the benefits of social well-being on health of an individual :
- Compassion, sympathy and a generally helping nature promotes mental balance.
- Social well being leads to simplicity, humbleness, brotherhood and peace.
- Keeps stress, anxiety, insomnia, diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol and other lifestyle disorders and psychiatric conditions at bay.
Being socially active, enables the individual to face the positives and negatives of life with courage and avoid the ill effects of stress. Hence, patriotism begets social well being, which in turn begets healthy living.
Dr JV Hebbar is an Ayurvedic specialist and lifestyle blogger at easyayurveda.com